Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Two movies back to back: A Civil Action & Erin Brockovich

Two movies about hazard waste contamination, nasty waste. A Civil Action (1998) & Erin Brockovich (2000).

I wasn't aware of Love Canal incident at all until I went to my very first class in Hazardous Waste Management. Apparently the place is so famous for it has driven the passage of "Superfund" for the very first time to decontaminate brownfield slash site contaminated with harmful waste.


Another worth quoted incident was Hinkly, CA, case of hexavalent chromium found in water and it was then featured in a movie called Erin Brockovich starring Julia Roberts back in 2000. I heard bout the movie, and I didn't watch it until today (I always thought that movie was about a single mother story of how she raised her kids etc, I was all wrong! I was fooled by the poster back then, of Julia Roberts holding a baby, I am helpless I know!)

Okay, this movie was so good that Julia Roberts really deserved the Best Actress in the Oscars! So do Albert Finney, I saw him in the "Traffic". Very a born actor. Watching Erin Brokovich was fun! I never thought that 8 years later I got a chance to watch it and the story is not all about what I always assumed!


Julia/Erin showing cleavage, long sexy legs, shouting "fuck you" and "bitch" to her boss and colleagues in a very natural way that you ponder: damn she did that so well, jealous. She is witty and she even said that she had "six hundred and thirty four blow jobs in five days" to get the residents' signatures...All those make the movie very easy and light. And I laughed and laughed. However, the movie is indeed very inspirational, there are messages and messages in those chapters of the movie.


On the other hand, A Civil Action is very slow and heavy. And we have John Travolta. He has a very very signature smile, and I kind of dislike that. It's like I am seeing Swordfish's John Travolta in A Civil Action (minus the long hair). Okay, I wonder if any of you get me (?) never mind...

A Civil Action was based on a true story too, about TCE contamination in water in Woburn. Unlike Erin Brockovich, this movie plays around on "law" and "court". Quoted from the movie, Robert Duvall as Jerome said: Court is not a place to find the truth. Immediately I agreed with him. Like the case of Erin, at the end, people are asking, where does the money for the residents go? Is the people in Hinkly really "win"? etc...

Anyway, I just watched two movies and I have to start nibbling my notes already. To think about it, it was quite nice to learn these two very good movies!(after 9/10 years!)

No comments:

Post a Comment